Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In the Stillness is the Dancing

I've been trying to be still lately. It is a completely counter-cultural idea...I feel like I get a lot of my worth by how busy I am. Like if someone asked me what I did all day and I said "Be still" they would think I am crazy...or worse yet, (gasp!) lazy.

But I think I am too busy. My mind is always racing with things I need to do, my calendar is full, my sleep is often disrupted, I even double booked myself with two important meetings last week. In short, I am on overload.

I've been thinking a lot about being still. I think God wants me to be still. "Be still and know that I am God" He said. I want a quiet heart. I want to sit at His feet and bask in His love for me. I want to deal with the deep issues that I normally gloss over and am "too busy" to deal with. I want to make what is important a priority instead of what is urgent. In short, I want to be closer to God.

So I've been still. I've been laying in our hammock in the backyard. I've been reading for hours on end, losing myself in the Bible. I've been reading poetry. I've been thinking. I've been finding enjoyment in being still.

T.S. Elliott said "in the stillness will be the dancing." I am learning the dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment